Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Blog Post #5

The Benefits of Podcasting in the Classroom

This is a podcast created by Joe Dale that demonstrates ways to use podcasting in the classroom. Mr. Dale is a middle school teacher and he shows several ways that he has incorporated this form of technology into his classroom. The vodcast that he created was extremely helpful to me and I plan to use this way of teaching in my classroom. He demonstrates how teachers could use a podcast to aid students who were too sick to come into school, I wish my teachers used this when I was in school! He also showed examples of students creating their own podcast to help them become involved and learn. What a great idea! I believe students learn SO much more from project based learning. Mr. Dale is not only engaging his students, but he is teaching them to use tools that will help them through the rest of their schooling. Through the several examples that he used he gave me something to think about when I record my own podcast this week.

blogger icon connected to headphones

100 Ways to Use Your iPod to Learn and Study Better

As I've said in my earlier posts, I own an iPad and use it daily, so I really appreciated this list! It never ceases to amaze me all the different ways to use technology. I'd never even thought about podcasting in the classroom until I started EDM 310. This list gives examples of a variety of apps available on the app store that use podcasting. Some examples are GoogleGet, which keeps you up to date with current news, Spanish to Go, which teaches you Spanish though a podcast (how cool is that?!), and Brainquest, an educational based game for kids. It's fascinating all the different apps that are created with podcasts and available to help teach children.
This list also has a tutorials section. This was most beneficial for my upcoming podcast project. The website provides a variety of links that demonstrates how to create a podcast and how to use it to benefit students in the classroom. I think this is a list I will have to bookmark and go back to when I'm looking for different ways to use my iPad or to use podcasting in the teaching.

several ipods put together to form a heart
Podcast Collection

This is a lesson plan that Judy Scharf, a teacher in New York, has put together on how to teach using podcasts. Judy first gives a detailed explanation on what a podcast and the benefits on using them in the classroom. She encourages teachers, saying "Give podcasting a try; you may be the inspiration for your students’ successful careers!". Judy really goes into depth in this post. She breaks down complete lesson guide, lists possible topics to use, and iTunes files on how to use podcast. She even includes an example grading scale, rubric, and examples of excellent podcasts. She has obviously done an extensive amount of research on the subject and I think it's amazing the she is willing to share this with other educators. The tutorials she posted will definitely help me in creating my own podcast and her grading scale will be a huge benefit in my own classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Erin! First, I'd like to say I love your blog! You're doing an great job!

    I have an iPod touch and I absolutely loved learning about all of the apps I could use. I never knew I could podcast on my iPod. I think it would be awesome to have an iSchool where the kids use iPods/iPads and all of these different apps and podcasts to learn. I also went through several of the tutorials and they really helped when preparing for my podcast project. I also bookmarked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Good job on this post! You followed directions, included the links, and pictures. I was very pleased while reading this. I am glad you and others are beginning to open your eyes to new things. I see you are keeping up the good work!
    Thanks,
    Amberly Elmore

    ReplyDelete